Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Books I read - Squirrel seeks Chipmunk + The secret lives of dresses

I went to the library to pick up Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff, but someone put the wrong book on hold for me. 
Sad. I was really looking forward having it in my hand, as I have requested it months ago. I have a really fond memory of reading Sinuhe, The Egyptian by Mika Waltari, so I was ready to go back to Egypt for a new trip. For the record, I would love to go Egypt for real as well.
So there I am in the library, and thinking I can surely find a book that I would be interested in.... and I have found two of them. One of them is David Sedaris' Squirrel seeks Chipmunk. I have read David Sedaris before, it was a no brainer, and I have also heard some of the stories featured in this book on NPR. I have to say I enjoyed it a great deal, but he has other books that made me laugh loud on the subway, this one did not.
The second book I knew nothing about, Erin McKean's The secret lives of dresses. Have to say cover marketing got me. (She has written linguistic books, but no novel before this one.) I liked the story, even though at times it was predictable. I am happy with a little bit of magic and appreciating vintage .... with a splash of interesting characters.



Ma nagy izgalommal mentem a konyvtarba, mert vegre ram kerult a sor par honapnyi varakozas utan, es haza hozhatom Stacy Schiff Cleopatra cimu konyvet. Honapok ota a New York Times sikerlistajan van, es jo sokat kell varni ra. De sajna nem tudtam haza hozni, mert egy masik konyvet raktak felre nekem Cleopatra helyett. Szomoru. Tini korom egyik kedvence Szinuhe volt, es ugy gondoltam megertem egy ujabb egyiptomi kalandra. Remelem egyszer szemelyesen is eljutok Egyiptomba, nem csak a konyveken at.
Na de ha mar a konyvtarban vagyok, csak talalok valami mast.... talaltam is ket konyvet.
Egyikuk David Sedaris uj konyve, aminek a cime magyarul nem is vicces, mert mokust jelent mindket szo pedig csak hasonszoruek. Mokus keres majdnem hasonszorut? Na jo, szoval akkor ajanlom hogy olvassatok el angolul, mert magyarul meg nem jelent meg...bar volt mar jobb konyve, de nem hagynam ki. Olyan szerzo Sedaris, akinek a konyven hangosan tudok nevetni mikozben a metron utazom, es nalam ez ritka.
A masodik konyvre veletlenul talaltam ra, be kell hogy ismerjem, hogy a borito kapott meg, a konyvrol, ill. a szerzorol nem hallottam eddig. A ruhak titkos elete cimu konyv Erin McKean elso regenye. (Sok lingvisztikai konyvet irt mar) Nagyon tetszett a tortenet, bar sokszor sejteni lehetett, hogy fognak alakulni az esemenyek. Viszont jo volt egy olyan vilagba csoppeni, ahol a regi ruhaknak tortenetuk es ertekuk van. Szeretem a mult hangulatat a sorok kozott. Es a karakterek is erdekes emberek, sorsok.

1 comment:

  1. I met Sedaris when I was working at the Astor Place B&N. It was kinda weird because he was blatantly hitting on me.

    ReplyDelete